Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Vegetarian Challenge.

It has been quite a while since I've done a food post on this blog. 
I taunt my family and close friends with food pictures but decided this format may be best for the latest challenge that I set for myself.  I am going to be following a low calorie, predominantly vegetarian diet.  This is sometimes referred to as Flexitarian. 

Primarily, I will be focused on increased vegetable intake.  Also, daily intake of whole grains and legumes.  Inclusion of foods that are good for me that I don't really like (fruit & dairy).  But there won't be a strict avoidance of all, or any one category of animal proteins.  

I was an ovo-lacto vegetarian in my 20's and that left me burnt out on dairy products, eggs and peanutbutter, which I felt at the time, I needed to include to get adequate protein. 

 I headed to our local Asian grocery store to stock up.  Here are 5 kinds of mushrooms.  They have that great Umami flavor that meat usually provides.  All of this variety for only $11
 Next up, some of my favorite veg: baby bok choy, giant asparagus and carrots, pea pods and bean sprouts.  $11.  Plus 2 jicima I forgot to take a picture of for $4.
 Some starches I don't always use.  Red Rice $8, Lentils $2.60, Yellow and red sweet potatoes $3
And a personal challenge.  I never found soy foods that I like.  In addition to the tofu, I found some Tofu noodles and some spicy, flavored tofu.   A $6 gamble.

I'll keep you posted with my discoveries.

No comments:

Post a Comment