Monday, March 4, 2013

TicTac Lamb


One of my first ideas for Tic Tacs was to somehow pair it with lamb since mint jelly is a traditional accompaniment to lamb.  I'm probably automatically disqualified from the challenge on this one since I didn't have lamb at home, but here it is anyway. 

I ground up some of the Freshmint (white) tic tacs and gathered some spices for a dry rub.

Lamb Dry Rub

1 tsp freshmints tic tac powder
1 tsp powdered cumin
1 tsp powdered garlic
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp powdered cardamom


Lamb is surprisingly hard to find around here and the only thing I could afford was a shoulder cut with bones.  I figured it would be similar to ribs, so I baked it at low heat (250 F) for about an hour and a half. 

I made a bbq sauce with equal parts of catsup and simple syrup made with freshmint tic tacs.  If you missed it, process for making the tic tac simple syrup is on this post

As for rating this recipe, the flavor was amazingly good and rated about a 9 from my family.  The spice rub was no surprise, but the fact we liked a mint bbq sauce was a shocker.   The cut of lamb I bought was all bones and made it impossible to eat dropping the overall rating to about a 7.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's installment:  Mint Butternut Squash Soup and Orange Tic Tac Muffins.





No comments:

Post a Comment